Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Our Shabby White Iron Bed & Romantic Retreat

 A few weeks ago I posted the makeover of my dome top trunk and promised to be back to share how I turned our room into a romantic retreat.
 I finished it just in time for our Anniversary this year!

This was the collage that I teased you with prior to revealing it in that post.

I promised to share the entire room with you with our bed re-do and all the special things that completed the room and blurred this pic to tease you more!

We bought this bed, many years ago, and fell immediately in love with all the hearts it possessed.

And after quite a few years, of wanting to give it  a new look, I finally lightened it with my chalk paint mix!

I wanted it to have a shabby look, so, after a little "wet distressing," some antiquing and a finish of wax our treasured bed turned out like this.

Then I added some pearls to give it some "glam."

and on the foot board, too.

White canvas with, glittered gold, stenciled letters were created to make this, new pillow, too!

Then I made some new changes that now hang over the bed.

First was a change to the gold, vintage, frame. I decided to add some white, wall paper, backing...

 then add my new heart with it's sentimental saying. I made it from an old mirrored frame and wrote on canvas with a thin, black marker to cover the mirror and added lace, silk cording and pearls for romantic glam.

The wall space to each side was calling for something else. So, I covered cardboard letters, with gold paint......two for my honey and two for me!

Then it came to me that I needed to make something for our little "Gucci." He sleeps here during the day and with us each night.

I made his name on a hanging heart pillow.

 it says.....

 Grandma's, cranberry lamps needed new shades and got upscaled with, white satin, quilting

and some pearls and lace, too!


This is the trunk that I just made over. That post is here.

Now, here's more of the look from around the room....this pic was taken before our letters were done.



This, gold vintage, frame (that I've posted before) got some new accents and some wallpaper, too and a new place above the cottage nightstand...yet, another project that's waiting for me to do!!!




A collection of heirlooms create a special vignette.
   "Grandma's" bottle of smelling salts, from the Art Deco era, is one of my all time treasures of hers!


My canvas, dressing screen is the perfect corner piece for the room. I found it in 1980, in an antique shop, for just $80!

The hand painted screen and my great grandmother's cami and tap pants are both from the 1800's. I made the rose heart wreath with baby's breath to adorn the vintage hanger.




I HATE the green color of the walls, so I have one last change that I have to do.......when I make up my mind I'll share the room's new color with you!

 My "little shadow" follows me wherever I go...he's my fluffy buddy!

 January 2016 wall update....lovin' it!




I hope you liked our "romantic retreat" and might even just give it a "like" a "pin"
or maybe a "share!"


 Love, Hugs and Kisses,
JP
and Gucci, too!
Can you see him? He's playing "peek-a-boo!

A very special thank you to Stacey from  staceyembracingchange.com  
for featuring this post on her blog

  Sharing this post at these great parties

lifeonlakeshoredrive  
frenchcountrycottage
rootedinthyme  
adelightsomelife
ivyandelephants
staceyembracingchange  
diybydesign
thededicatedhouse  
savvysouthernstyle
knickoftime  
  mariaelenasdecor
adelightsomelife  
confessionsofaplateaddict 
astrollthrulife  
thededicatedhouse  

4 comments:

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Very pretty, Janet! The bed turned out great. I'd like to paint ours at some point, but it is too new and the hubby would turn purple, so I will have to wait a few years on that. : )

Rosemary and Thyme said...

Wow Janet, this is such a charming and nostalgic room. It reminds me of the Bed and Breakfast that I frequent in Cape May, NJ. All very Victorian and elegant.

Nicely done. I do love your little pooch.

Hugs,

Janet

Ivy and Elephants said...

I think trunks are so romantic. The room is beautiful.

Paula

Lace Age Girl said...

A gorgeous room. the bed abd trunk look fantastic, and I love the vintage camisole...
Hugs, Jesse